Sunday, May 30, 2010

PT Japanese 101 and My Pain Journal

One of the most frustrating things about doing physical therapy here in Japan is not being able to fully express what kind of pain I'm experiencing, what I feel when doing a particular exercise or a particular position, and understanding my Japanese therapist's instructions. I am quite confident with my Japanese ability, don't get me wrong, but I don't exactly use most of the terms I encounter at the rehab center in normal daily conversation.

Since I cannot just drop everything here and leave for the Philippines to have my therapy there for God knows how long, I think one of the small adjustments I can do to improve my situation here is to compile a list of terms I encounter during my sessions and try to familiarize myself with them and their English meaning. I also started a pain journal so that I can keep track of the kind of pain I experience, and how the food I eat, the weather, my activities, my job and related stress, and my emotional state affect the level of pain I experience from day to day. Conversely, it would also help keep track of how my pain affects my emotional state and my appetite. I can also use this info to help my therapist and doctor provide better treatment for me.

Here are some of the terms I recall from previous sessions:

Illness:
cervical spondylosis - 頸部脊椎症(けいぶ せきついしょう)
herniated disc - 椎間板ヘニア(ついかんばん)
scoliosis - 脊柱側弯症(せきちゅうそくわんしょう)
osteoarthritis - 変形性関節炎(へんけいせいかんせつえん)
(yeah I have all of those hahaha talk about a messed up spine!)

Pain/sensations:
sharp pain - 鋭い痛み(するどいいたみ)
radiating pain - 放散する痛み(ほうさんするいたみ)
throbbing/pounding pain - ズキズキする痛み(ずきずきするいたみ)
tingling sensation - ヒリヒリする痛み
dull pain - 鈍痛(どんつう)
numbness - しびれ
muscle cramps - 筋けいれん

Body parts:
bone - 骨(ほね)
muscle - 筋肉(きんにく)
spine - 背骨(せぼね)
shoulder blades - 肩甲骨(けんこうこつ)
nape of the neck - 襟首(えりくび)
back of the head - 後頭(こうとう)
abdominal muscles - 腹筋(ふっきん)
upper back - 上背(うわぜい)
lower back - 腰(こし)
hip joint - 股関節(こかんせつ)
temples - こめかみ
chin - 頤(あご)
arm - 腕(うで)
elbow - 肘(ひじ)

PT instructions:
lie face down - うつぶせに寝る
lie on one's back - あおむけに寝る
lie on one's side - 横向きに寝る
bend one's knee - 膝を曲げる
extend one's leg - 脚を伸ばす
put one's weight on ... - ~に体重をかける
stick one's chest out - 胸を張る(むねをはる)
sway from side to side - 左右に揺れる(さゆうにゆれる)
posture - 姿勢(しせい)
spinal traction - 脊椎牽引(せきついけんいん)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey you missed one!

dapat alam mo by heart ang japanese translation ng "aray! putangina naman!"

kinniebear said...

haha sira ka talaga Paul! tsk tsk kala ko pa naman kabastusan...I'm disappointed! hahaha!