Tuesday, July 1, 2008

More Than Enough

While browsing through old stuff, I found this short something on my thoughts on graduation day sa U.P. I wanted to give this to my parents, but I lost my nerve at the last minute and kept this to myself instead.

=====

As I sat in the crowded theater, my eyes searched for them. I needed to see them.

All those years I've never wanted anything but to please them, to make them proud of me. Twice I have fallen short of that goal. Twice I have watched silently from the crowd as others fulfilled MY dream, MY goal. I'd see their faces and wished I could wear that same look on my face. Yet twice, I have worn nothing but defeat and shame.

I sat there and thought, is this enough? I listened to him, watched him and I became unsure. I could have been him. I could've been the one fumbling with my speech. I could've been the one shaking the hands of so many people I don't even know. I could've been the one being cheered on by so many people I haven't even met. If only I had studied more. If only I'd listened more. If only I'd focused more. If only I never went to the movies with my friends on a school night. If only, if only. Another chance had passed and I blew it.

My eyes searched for them. I needed to see them. I just needed to see the hurt in their eyes. My eyes searched, and finally I found them. To my surprise, I was greeted by two of the most caring and beaming pair of eyes I have ever seen. All the doubts and thoughts racing through my brain came to a screeching halt. Their eyes in my eyes told me just what I needed to know.

All those years I've never wanted anything but to please them, to make them proud of me, and all those years, I DID.

No comments: