In the video below (start at 3:33), Gordon describes Gloria Arroyo as a very impassioned and hard working leader whose biggest mistake was her continued transactional leadership. He went on to say that Gloria Arroyo may have had to resort to these transactions, or give and take arrangements because she may have been severely crippled by the events that led to her becoming president in the first place. Her predecessor, Estrada, was very popular to the masses and the people at that time were not able to fully embrace and comprehend the sudden change in leadership. As a result, Arroyo had to make deals that would ensure her stay in power and give her at least some form of "bought" or "paid" trust.
This answer is one good example of the kind of person Gordon is. You can tell that he is not a big fan of Arroyo, but still he was able to give her enough respect as our president. Unlike the other candidates' dismissive, or worse, self-serving replies (just listen to Mar Roxas...the horror!!!), Gordon actually gave a sensitive, carefully-worded, well-thought out answer. He was able to give credit where credit is due but at the same time giving valid criticisms.
Going back to the concept of transactional leadership Gordon mentioned, I think on the other hand that Gordon is the ideal transformational leader. We all know he is a good and effective leader in the sense that he is able to make his followers do what he expects them to, but at the same time, he doesn't think of them as mere followers. He believes in empowering the people - not only relying on the leader to make their lives better but becoming themselves capable of improving their own lives. I think this is the best point in his platform, and the best legacy he could leave behind if ever he becomes president. More than any number of good and successful projects he could implement during his term, just imagine how much more we can achieve as a country if even after his term, we still have in us the confidence, the motivation, the capability to implement even more good projects.
I sincerely hope Dick Gordon wins. Not only because he is the best among the candidates, but because he is THE ONLY ONE WHO FITS the job description. As Marvin said, picking who to vote for isn't as difficult as you think it is. Just imagine, if you invested your life savings in a company, who would you want running it as CEO? And if you were an ordinary employee, who would you rather be working for? Only one person comes to mind.
2 comments:
I hope he delivers. I want genuine change for the country.
Yeah, I want that too. I hope he wins. And when he does, I'm sure he will deliver.
I am sick of hearing people saying "I'm not voting for Gordon - my vote will just go to waste since he has no chance of winning." Uh, isn't your vote supposed to signify who you think SHOULD WIN and not who you think WILL WIN?!? x_x
Post a Comment