My friend Marvin and I wasted a good amount of time this morning fighting over who should prepare the green mangoes he bought yesterday. Both of us had never peeled green mangoes before - someone had always done that for us before in the Philippines. I eventually lost, mostly because Marvin's argument made more sense. I was the one into cooking and I had to learn how to peel a green mango without a peeler at some point hahaha.
And this afternoon, we thought of making minatamisang saging, or plantains in brown sugar sauce. It was coming together beautifully when Marvin came across a pack of tapioca coconut dessert in his tiny kitchen and thought it was a great idea to mix it in. The coconut cream blended just right with the sauce, but we had some trouble with the tapioca beads. Apparently, because the pan was filled with cut plantains, the sauce's temperature didn't rise enough to cook the tapioca properly. We waited for another 20 minutes, but when the tapioca still wasn't cooking the way it should, we decided to remove the already cooked plantains to prevent them from becoming overcooked. The beads finally got cooked but we ended up with a very thick sauce because some of the already cooked tapioca beads melted into it. Major FAIL.

Preps
The end result still tastes great though, especially after chilling it in the freezer and adding some evaporated milk. ^_^


No comments:
Post a Comment