Monday, September 21, 2009

Finally, Empanadas

I've been thinking about making empanadas for weeks, and it seems that every Friday night I would mention to Marvin that I'll be finally making them that weekend. And finally, FINALLY, I made a batch today. I used this recipe from smitten kitchen.


I was a bit anxious though, since up until now, I've just had to work with batter and not dough when I'm baking. This was my very first try and I was half expecting a disaster of some sort, so I asked Marvin to still buy some take-out dinner for us. I was quite surprised that they turned out really yummy and delicious! And Marvin loved them so much that he finished off 4 in an instant, even after eating a Burger King Whopper (yep, not exactly the healthiest take-out dinner choice, I know, hehe!) Marvin even said that the crust was perfect and that if I use the same recipe for other pies, he's sure they'd turn out perfect as well! Yay! ^_^

What's quite funny is that it slipped my mind that I would need a rolling pin, so I used my white wine vinegar bottle instead. I just covered the dough with plastic wrap. Hmm, I really need to buy more supplies. But I'm slowly buying stuff a few items at a time to complete my kitchen. Just this morning, I bought red wine and white wine vinegar, white wine for cooking, cumin, and dry yeast. For utensils and tools, I bought an icing spatula, a food brush, and finally, a flour sifter.

Hmm, what should I try next? Since it's going to be autumn soon, I might try a persimmon or apple & pear pie. =)

No comments: