Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Promise Is Enough

Tokyo Midtown Illumination 2008

I laid in bed looking out my bedroom window, which in a happy coincidence faces north, waiting for the promised meteor shower. I waited and waited, but the only dancing lights I saw were from the shifting shadows of the rustling leaves below. An occasional firefly caught my eye, at times the reflected headlights of a passing car, but still, nothing of the cosmic kind.

I gave up at around 2 AM, turned around and closed my eyes. The only sound was those of the leaves swaying with the light evening breeze. In the dark of the night and the solace of my mind, I dared to imagine it as the sound of a hundred beautiful meteors falling fast in a shimmer all around me. And though I never did get to see a single shooting star that night, the promise was enough to get me dreaming again.


*** The photo was taken in December 2008 in Tokyo Midtown.

No comments: