Despite a draining flight the night before, I woke up on my first day back in the Philippines at 5:30 in the morning feeling refreshed, relaxed, and eager to start my day. I had nothing planned, but I was just so excited to experience being home again. And as though the day was as happy to welcome me back, waking up itself was a pleasant surprise. Birds chirped excitedly as others sang serenely, the fresh cool morning breeze filtered through the window as I opened my eyes to the early morning sunshine. It was an experience long forgotten, and in those first moments of wakefulness, I felt like the kid I was before I left eight years ago.
Breakfast was simple, the mood light and easy. I had suman - steamed rice cakes wrapped in banana leaves - and coconut jam, and my mother had her early morning cigarette. Both of us yapping in the same way we used to about anything and everything. The rest of the day went on like it did in the hot summers of college, when school was out and everything slowed down to a relaxed pace. I read my books, took a midday nap, then walked my lunch off. Dinner, or after it, as usual, was a riot. My brother, my sister and I teased each other non-stop over dessert, while my parents smoked and talked in the garden. It was as if I had never left.
Everything came so easily, everything fell into place. I guess I had still been here all along. HOME.
No comments:
Post a Comment